I am happy to say I completed the first week of the Guitar 30 Challenge without missing a practice session and I am seeing some of the results I was hoping to see. I keep a running log of each day’s practice so I can share my journey from #badguitarplayer to #OKguitarplayer with the world.
Day 1: Day 1 went very well, but it is obvious that I will need to do just two keys per day because even playing in three keys I am very comfortable with (C,G,D) and playing scales I know fairly well, I still needed extra time in each key and could not push the speed of the key up. I also discovered I need to set up a quick recording and playback system for the play section since I had to spend extra time messing around trying to record a quick backing track. When I get to scales I can’t play well, I might not be able to get through two keys, but I’ll tackle that problem as I move forward.
Day 2: I can see now that I actually know my major scale positions and, by extension, the modes better than I might have thought, but inconsistent practice definitely hasn’t helped my ability to use them fluidly. I did not expect to have so much trouble in the Keys of A and E, but I struggled with both and found myself gravitating toward playing in C and G positions, probably because I play A min over C and E min over G so much. I still have not found an adequate method of making a quick loop to play over in the improvising part of my practice.
Day 3: Today, I discovered that the Keys of B and F# are about as familiar to me as the language of Urdu-I have heard it, I know it exists and I don’t understand it at all. Good to know. The funny is, though, I actually enjoyed the sound of these unexplored keys a great deal and three days into practicing, I am definitely seeing the connection between the scale patterns better even in positions that are strange to me. I can also see that it was ludacris to think I could play through all the positions and have time to do it again at a higher speed. That might work if I just played each position once, but that would definitely not help me visualize them on the fretboard better, which is the whole point. I think I will have to work on speed in these patterns some other time. Right now, I’m letting them sit at 90 bmp and playing several times through. Tomorrow I’ll try playing them less and turning up the speed, but I doubt I’ll get far with that if I’m keeping these sessions to 30 minutes.
Day 4: C# and Ab (G#): One hallmark of being a bad guitar player is never playing the things that you are really bad at and constantly playing the things that you are only a little bit bad at. So, obviously, I landed on C and G instead of C# and Ab at least five times in practicing today. But at least I caught myself. In the improving section, I could hear that mistake over the backing track and adjust. I had a blast playing in these keys and I’m going to play in the more and more some songs into them for fun and because they sound different and more exciting to me. I settled on using the Music Maker JAM app for looping. It is fairly easy to make a quick 4-bar loop and I had fun with using a drum track behind the chords. I also managed to get through playing at two different speeds today, 90 bmp and 120 bmp.
Day 5: Eb And Bb: I am surprised and happy to see how much the steady practice is improving my ability to visualize the scales all over the fretboard. I’m back to keys that I am familiar with and playing with ease in every position. Eb is a key that I should play in more and was harder than Bb which I play in regularly, but with all the patterns under my fingers now, it’s mostly just a matter of remembering the notes that make up the scale now.
Day 6: F and C: Back to keys that I am comfortable, I pushed the speed up today and even though I have mainly been playing eighth notes at 90bmp, I found them easy at 140 bmp which is very exciting. I’m looking forward to moving into minor keys and less familiar sounds and shapes next week. Recording a loop to play over is still an issue in part because I’m playing in the morning and I can’t push the volume up enough. #Dadlife. Overall though, it’s been almost a week, I’ve been through all the keys and I still find this completely engaging.
Day 7: Weakest Keys: With a week of playing done, I’m very happy with my improvement here. Today I focused on playing freely in two keys I was weakest at and it went… OK.
This improv was almost totally unplanned and still, it is mostly on key and there is some nice lines and phrasings. I focused on trying to use a few positions and I felt comfortable in all of them which was nice to see happening in these keys. I still don’t “play the changes” really at all and my leads are more a collection of lines than a complete solo, but hey, this is progress.